- MFA programs are where you find out what to read.
- MFA programs are where you find out how to read.
- MFA programs can make workshop [sic] wonderful.
- MFA programs are where you find community.
- MFA programs are where you make connections.
- MFA programs are where you find yourself.
Still, you have to wonder: "What would a Creative Writing course look like if it were geared toward producing poetry that people might actually want to hear?"
New Creative Writing Syllabus for Poetry:
- Forms, media and venues
- Subjects and objects
- Critique: Workshopping with knowledgeable peers
- Criticism versus promotion
* That this might be a causation spiral would be dismissed as mere speculation.
** For what it's worth, slam poetry isn't drawing a lot of nonparticipants either.